This SOW seed slab is embedded with open pollinated, non-GMO Italian heirloom seeds. The soil is handmade using natural recycled materials, and infused with organic nutrients for healthy plants.
- Soil slab is fully biodegradable
- Great water retention keeps seeds moist
- Includes easy planting instructions
- This innovative South African invention makes precious heirloom seeds affordable & available to gardeners from all walks of life
Candy Cane Beetroot:
- Pleasant mild flavour
- Non-staining juices
- Best season for sowing: All year round
- Light needed: Full sun to light shade
- Harvest: 8-9 weeks
- Companion planting: Beets grow well with lettuce, cabbage, onions, leeks & garlic
- Supply: 1 slab = 1 month supply with average use (4 people)
Candy cane beetroots have pink-striped stems and cherry-red roots; inside, the vegetable has rings of white and deep pink. These beautiful beets lose their colour when cooked, so are best served raw and thinly sliced.
Top Tip: Adding a splash of lemon juice or white vinegar to your candy cane beets will help to keep the colour from fading during cooking.
Recipe for Candy Cane Beet Salad with Goat’s Cheese Dressing:
- 4-6 candy cane beets
- 6oz goat’s cheese
- 3Tbsp skim milk
- ½ cup fresh dill sprigs
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- Baby lettuce leaves
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Walnut oil (optional)
- Thinly slice the beets; splash with olive oil & lemon juice. Season with salt & pepper.
- Mix the cheese, skim milk, dill & 1Tbsp lemon juice in a blender until smooth. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Pour your goat’s cheese dressing onto a platter. Pile on the beet slices & baby lettuce leaves.
- Top with nuts, shallots, walnut oil & pepper to taste. Enjoy!
- Inside your Slab of Seed box, you’ll find a soil “chocolate slab”; each block in the slab is sown with a beetroot seed.
- Snap off your "chocolate" blocks. Space them as shown on the side of the box.
- Bury just below the soil surface, cover and water every 3 - 4 days until seedlings peep out.
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice.