Why is red onion such a nutritious vegetable?
- High in vitamins C & B6; boosts immunity & protects heart health
- Source of quercitin, a bioflavonoid that scavenges free radicals
- Source of allicin, which protects the heart & reduces high blood pressure
- Rich in chromium, which helps to control glucose levels; one of the best food sources of chromium
In short, this humble vegetable is a fantastic disease-fighting food! Maximise the immune-boosting benefits of red onion by sprouting your own; it’s quick and easy, cost-effective and so tasty too.
Suitable for sprouting and general consumption.
Recipe for Blended Salad:
- Small bunch of rainbow chard
- Small bunch of bok choy
- ½ a ripe avocado
- Handful of red onion sprouts
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 ripe tomato
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- Water to blend
- Simple – just whiz all your ingredients in a food processor until smooth & creamy!
- Blended salad is like a raw veggie soup or savoury smoothie; perfect for summer.
Please Note: This product consists of the sprouting seeds only; sprouting jars & stand are not included. You will need a full standard sprouting kit to grow your seeds.
- Add 3-4Tbsp of your dry seeds to a clean sprouting jar; enough to lightly cover the bottom of an upright jar.
- Cover the sprouting jar with the mesh screen & secure it with a rubber band.
- Cover your dry seeds with 2-4cm water & soak for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Drain & rinse in fresh water, swirling gently while draining to disperse the seeds across the surface of the sprouting jar. Place the jar at an angle on your sprouting stand.
- Keep your sprouting jar in natural light but never in direct sunlight. Rinse your seeds 2-3 times a day in cool water. The water should be rinsed clear.
- Harvest within 2-3 days of the “tails” and/or greenery appearing from the seeds.
- Drain the sprouts well & leave 2-4 hours to dry on your sprouting stand, before transferring to an airtight, covered storage container.
- Enjoy your sprouts in 3-7 days; keep them refrigerated in an airtight container. Start sprouting new seeds every 2- 3 days for a continuous, fresh supply.
- Never eat sprouts that have started to smell bad.
- Always wash your containers thoroughly between plantings.
- Remove any broken or damaged seeds before you start sprouting.
- Double rinsing is recommended for beans & legumes.
- Never eat sprouted soy beans with brown spots.
- Unsprouted seeds should be stored in an airtight container in a cupboard. The germination life of seeds is generally 2-5 years.
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice.
30 Oct, 2014, By Kaeyla
These take a little longer to sprout than alfalfa seeds but are very tasty in salads and over scrambled eggs.