- The glycaemic index (a measure of how quickly foods raise blood sugar) of Xylitol is only 7, compared to regular sugar -which has a glycaemic index of 60-70.
- It is an excellent alternative to sugar for people with diabetes, pre-diabetes, obesity or other metabolic problems.
- It has a similar sweetness as regular sugar, is low G.I and has 40% fewer calories and 75% fewer carbs than refined white sugar.
- An all-natural sweetener found in many fruits and vegetables
The Benefits Of Xylitol as a natural sweetener:
- Plaque, commonly caused by bacteria Streptococcus Mutans, feeds on glucose from food - but they cannot use xylitol. Eventually, the sugar metabolism in the bacteria is blocked and they literally starve to death.
- The mouth, nose and ears are all interconnected. In much the same way as it kills plaque; Xylitol can reduce ear infections in children by fighting the yeast Candida Albicans that commonly causes ear infections.
- Studies have shown that it increases the absorption of calcium in the digestive system, which is good for your teeth and may also protect against osteoporosis.
- Either by replacing sugar or adding it on top of the diet, can reduce cavities and tooth decay by as much as 30-85%
- It also appears to have prebiotic effects, feeding the friendly bacteria in the gut.
Use as a sugar substitute, either complimenting your diet or completely replacing other sugars.
Xylitol (made from non-gmo corn)
Xylitol can be highly toxic to dogs, leading to hypoglycaemia and/or liver failure. It only takes about 0.1 g/kg for a dog to be affected (less than the amount in a single stick of gum)
Xylitol is generally well tolerated in humans, but some people do get digestive side effects when they consume too much, not unlike conventional sugar.
If you have Irritable Bowel Syndrome or an intolerance to FODMAPs, then be extra careful with sugar alcohols and consider avoiding them altogether.
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice.
Great sweetener, once my body got used to it
30 Mar, 2016, By Michelle
When I first used this sweetener I got the runs, was about to give it away, but after the first use, I went back to it, no more runs. Worked well for me, plus I did not need to mix it with anything. I enjoyed the taste. Just like sugar.
16 Mar, 2016, By Ashleigh
Always have xylitol in my home, great sugar substitute and gets the tummy working well. Don have too much at once...
05 Feb, 2016, By Alta
The absolute best replacement for sugar. Ive tried Stevia in the meanwhile and it has the same aftertaste as canderel. Xylitol is the best with no lingering aftertaste!
Best sugar substitute
12 Sep, 2015, By Liesl
This product helped me ditch the sugar in my coffee and tea. It is a fantastic sugar substitute.
22 Jul, 2015, By Seipati
it takes great