Why should you be eating more quinoa?
- Gluten-free, with a low GI (glycaemic index)
- High in protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids; great for vegans & vegetarians
- Source of soluble & insoluble fibre, for healthy digestion (almost twice as much as other grains!)
- Rich in essential minerals (iron, zinc, calcium, potassium, magnesium)
- Source of lysine, which helps with tissue growth & repair
Did You Know? Quinoa was first eaten as a healthy staple thousands of years ago, in ancient Incan civilisation. Quinoa was considered “the gold of the Incas”, because it was believed to give their warriors improved strength and stamina!
Bring ⅓ cup quinoa to the boil in 1 cup liquid (water or stock). Cover & simmer until tender (14-18 minutes).
Recipe for Ginger Quinoa Granola:
- ¾ cup Health Connection Organic Quinoa, uncooked
- ½ cup whole almonds
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- ¼ cup flax seeds
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2Tbsp coconut oil
- 1tsp cinnamon
- ½tsp salt
- ⅓ cup crystallised ginger pieces, chopped
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Combine the quinoa, almonds, walnuts & flax seeds in a bowl; stir well.
- Heat the maple syrup in a small microwave-safe bowl for 20 seconds.
- Stir the coconut oil, cinnamon & salt into the maple syrup; mix until the coconut oil is completely melted.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry mix & toss to coat.
- Spread the mixture in a thin layer over a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden-brown, stirring twice. Add the ginger & cranberries during the last 5 minutes of cook time.
- Once cool, break up the granola into small clusters & enjoy with milk or yoghurt. The mixture will keep for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
Please Note: This product is packed in a warehouse where peanuts and tree nuts are present.
Nutritional information (per 45g/ 2Tbsp serving):
- Energy: 693kJ
- Protein: 6.3g
- Glycaemic carbohydrate: 26g
- of which total sugars: 2.2g
- Total fat: 2.8g
- of which saturated fat: 0.3g
- Dietary fibre: 3.2g
- Total sodium: 2mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Magnesium: 88.7mg
- Zinc: 1.4mg