Your gut is central to your health. Imbalanced gut flora can result in blood sugar imbalances, sugar cravings, weight gain, poor immunity, low energy and digestive disturbances. Kefir grains contain yeast and bacteria in a symbiotic relationship that colonises your gut with a healthy, balanced community of microflora, with many health spin-offs:
Benefits of milk kefir:
- Colonises your gut with healthy strains of beneficial microflora
- Promotes a wide variety of microflora that is believed to be even more potent than those found in yoghurt (yoghurt bacteria feed beneficial bacteria as they pass through, kefir actually provides the beneficial bacteria that stays in your gut)
- Contains beneficial yeasts that are known destroy pathogenic yeasts such as candida
- Cleanses, purifies and strengthens intestinal walls and helps your body become more resistant to dangerous pathogens such as E. Coli, salmonella and intestinal parasites, improving various digestive diseases and also diarrhoea
- Helps assimilate nutrients in the gut and enhances the use of certain trace minerals and B vitamins
- Helps your body assimilate calcium found in milk. Full cream milk is the best milk to use as it also contains vitamin K2 which keeps your bones strong and arteries clear
- The lactic acid bacteria in kefir predigest lactose making it easier to tolerate for those with lactose intolerance
You can drink kefir as is (or even just have a tablespoon or two a day as a probiotic supplement), flavour it, or use it in your smoothies or bread recipes.
The Milk Kefir starter kit contains:
- Milk kefir grains
- Small plastic strainer for kefir
- 1 x Glass container
- 1 x Small cheese cloth for covering the bottle top
- 1 x Rubberband
- Plastic spoon
- Instructions and recipe
- Reusable culture; makes up to 1 litre of kefir with every batch
- Cultures on the counter at 20°-30°C so no special heating equipment required
- Suitable for use with cow or goat milk
- May be used to culture coconut, soy, or rice milk once rehydrated in dairy milk; grains require regular refreshing in dairy milk
- Nut and seed milks yield inconsistent results and the culture will weaken after 2 or three batches and it is also recommended that you refresh it in dairy milk
- Non GMO
Why can you make more than one batch with this starter culture?
Culturing kefir is like having a little plant that you need to keep feeding - and it grows too! This culture can be re-used as it is a living organism that feeds on the milk sugars. Once you have cultured your milk you remove the SCOBY (start culture) and put it into the next batch so it can keep feeding. This is how you can keep making kefir indefinitely with the same starter culture. It will keep growing bigger so that you will need to divide it at some point. You can even give some away as a gift once you have enough. Kefir just keeps on giving.
Contains dairy. Packaged in a facility that also manufactures products made with wheat, soy, eggs, nuts, and fish.
Faithful to Nature is an online retail store, specialising in a wide selection of natural supplements, vitamins, superfoods and health-related products. Our green team is all about helping you unlock your full potential to live a healthy life; however we are not medical professionals. Please do consult your health care practitioner when seeking medical advice.